Thursday, November 14, 2019

ЁЯМ╖Pujya Guruji S N Goenkaji

ЁЯМ╖Pujya Guruji S N Goenkaji :
(The following extract is from an article written by Goenkaji in 1979 to mark his completion of ten years as a Teacher of Vipassana meditation.)
I do not devalue what has been done for the spread of Vipassana in the last ten years, since to do so would be to de-value the selfless service given by so many people. But the fact remains that up to now only a first step has been taken in the work, and a small step.
From a firm base in India, the light of Vipassana must spread everywhere around the world.
It is a lifetime job.
It is a steep ascent of the mountain.Upon the way are many obstacles and hindrances, those within and those without.... To overcome these difficulties
requires great strength of Dhamma, perseverance, forbearance, zeal, and egolessness.
ЁЯМ╖At times when faced with great difficulties, I find that I have stooped beneath their weight. Very soon, however, I have stood up, brushed the dust from my knees, and started walking with increased Dhamma strength. Whatever portion of the journey has been completed gives the inspiration and strength to walk on. And the greatest help upon the path is gratitude. This is the support for the journey ahead.
Therefore gratitude keeps overflowing in my mind, firstly to the Enlightened One who rediscovered this lost technique and used it for his benefit, and who with free hand and compassionate heart distributed it for the benefit of one and all I am grateful to the entire chain of teachers from the Buddha to Sayagyi U Ba Khin who maintained this wonderful technique in its original form, thereby permitting me to learn it in its purity. I am grateful to all the members of my family whose co-operation has been so helpful in the Dhamma work.
I am grateful to all my comrades and friends in the Dhamma, all who have given me their co-operation and assistance, whose companionship has given me sustenance on the path.
If during the last ten years by my deeds of body, speech, or mind I have committed any wrong action knowingly or unknowingly, intentionally or unintentionally toward anyone, I ask pardon.
May all beings be happy!
May all beings be peaceful!
May all beings be liberated!
—Traveler on the Dhamma Path, 
S.N. Goenka.
(Vipassana International Newsletter. Dec'86)